HOME

AMERICUS INSTITUTE

"Again reflecting the tenor of their times, a high school for blacks was regarded as superfluous. Local opportunities for black higher education would have to await the establishment of Prof. Major W. Reddick's Americus Institute in 1897. Although not an affiliate of the city's school system, it served a complementary purpose until its closure in 1932, allowing black scholars to supplement their primary education without leaving the community." Excerp from AMERICUS SCHOOL HISTORY by Alan Anderson.


Click here for more.